Here at Kitchen Saver, we care about the well being of our customers, potential customers, and staff, so here are some quick guidelines for the safe use of firecrackers/fireworks during this summer season.
Fireworks of any type, even legal fireworks, are potentially dangerous and should be used with extreme caution. Last year, during the 30 days surrounding the 4th of July, sparklers, bottle rockets, and small firecrackers – all of which are legal in Maryland – sent about 1,900 people to the emergency room with various injuries. The most common of these injuries were burns and lacerations to the hands, head and face. Yet these incidents only accounted for roughly 40% of all fireworks related injuries. In all, 8,600 people ended up in the emergency room in 2010 due to fireworks related incidents.
So how can you ensure that you and your loved ones stay safe? Well, here are a few tips from The National Council on Fireworks Safety:
• Use fireworks outdoors only.
• Obey Maryland laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
• Always have water handy.
• Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
• Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers of any type.
• Do not ever use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives: They can kill you! Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
So please be safe and smart this holiday season.
If you have any questions, contact Kitchen Saver for all your Kitchen needs by calling 877-828-9056 or click here today!
Okay, so maybe fireworks safety doesn’t really have anything to do with kitchens, but it’s good information to have. Realistically though, you don’t want to do something stupid and burn your house down. So I guess fireworks safety has a little to do with kitchens.
1) The National Council on Fireworks Safety http://www.fireworksafety.com/
2) US Consumer Product Safety Commision http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11254.html